Tuesday, July 29, 2014

John 14:1-3

Mone in John 14:2: What is it?

Let not your heart be troubled: ye believe in God, believe also in me. In my Father's house are many mansions [mone]: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also. John 14:1-3 KJV

      Jesus had told his followers he was going away and Peter wanted to know where. So Jesus began to tell them but also said not to worry about it. He told them his father’s house was big enough to accommodate all of them.
      The word translated “mansions” in the King James Version is usually translated as “rooms,” or “abiding places” or “dwelling places” in more modern versions. Verse 23 uses the same Greek word (mone) when Jesus says, “Whoever loves me will keep my word. My Father will love them, and we will come to them and make our home [mone] with them.” Common English Version Those are the only places mone is used in the New Testament.
      N.T. Wright has said, “The ‘dwelling-places’ of this passage are … best understood as safe places where those who have died may lodge and rest, like pilgrims in the Temple, not so much in the course of an onward pilgrimage within the life of a disembodied ‘heaven’, but while awaiting the resurrection which is still to come.”[1]


[1] N.T. Wright, The Resurrection of the Son of God (Fortress Press, 2003), 446.

No comments: